Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 4 Oct 2005 18:24:59 +0000
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Don Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)
Comments: To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussi <[log in to unmask]>

On 04/10/05, Lou Judson wrote: > All the DATS I recorded (ten years worth) are at 44.1, and when a > client brings in a 48k DAT, I usually transfer analog to 44.1 because > it seems to come out just as well or better than a lengthy SRC in the > digital realm. Thought or comments? You are then going through a D->A, an analog driver stage, and an A->D; so it would entirely depend on how well engineered these are. Likewise the digital sample rate conversion would depend on the quality of the algorithm. There is always a better way to do something. And it will depend on the material. What may be more than good enough for oral history might show a slight but audible loss of quality on a concert recording of Elgar's Introduction and Allegro for Strings. > I have a Sony 2300 that works as well as the day it was new, a good > D-100, a 59ES that seemed to need heads last time I checked, and a > lowly Panasonic 3500. I've kept the 3500 just in case for a long time > now and never needed it - anyone looking for one? Regards -- Don Cox [log in to unmask]