Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:35:51 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: History help needed

Don Tait wrote: > Regarding Tom Fine's message about the use of stairwells and bathrooms as > reverb chambers until the '60s, I used to read that Peter Bartok used his tiled > bathroom for his still-excellent-sounding mono recordings. The most famous > example of the use of stairwells may be Ormandy's first, circa 1947, > Philadelphia recording of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. It was issued on 78s and an > early Columbia LP (ML 4089). On some editions of the LP (but not the first ones > or the 78s), at one point one can hear a dog barking. The story I've heard is > that Columbia was using a stairwell to add reverb in the early '50s, that the > stairwell went down to street level, the dog barked outside the door while the > tape was being re-worked, no one was paying attention, and it was issued. > > Don Tait So that's it! That Columbia echo is a major problem to deal with..I think it went down to subway level. Listen to Morton Gould's "Serenade of Carols" on 10" LP. dl