Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:59:39 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Colin Schlachta <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Storage question of wax cylinders

The storage of flat discs and audio CD's has been the topic of late, but I'd like to raise a question regarding the safe storage of wax cylinders. My question has to do with the original factory cylinder cases. These cases have a cotton lining inside to protect the surface of the cylinder. This may have been the solution in the late 19th century, but is it appropriate for today? For instance, I came across a case that had clear stone-like objects stuck on the inner cotton walls. It turned out to be drips of glue. These drips of glue probably came from the Edison factory since there are signs of even more glue at the bottom of the case. (Perhaps the factory worker sneezed when applying the glue) :-) With these hard particles being in this container, the surface of this particular wax cylinder is now irreparably damaged from taking the cylinder out & back in over the years. Fortunately I have only noticed this one example as I work my way through the 3300 cylinders in this museum's collection. I have also found that the cotton lining particles can get in between the grooves of a cylinder, and can blend in with dirt or the like. This is a larger problem regarding brown wax cylinders. Can anyone tell me if it is best to store wax cylinders in their original containers, or is it better to replace them? I know that there is an archival quality cardboard container that exists, but is this the best solution? Regards, Colin Schlachta Audio-Visual Archives Canadian Museum of Civilization 100 Laurier Street Gatineau, Quebec J8X 4H2 Fax: (819) 776-7055 Tel: (819) 776-8466