Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:12:57 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Verve, but not Jazz

Tom Fine wrote: > I _think_ but do not know that non-jazz music was in the post-Granz, MGM > era. The comedy may have started before Norman Granz sold it to MGM, but I > doubt it. The comedy (aside from Spike Jones) started in 1958 or '59 with Mort Sahl, then Shelley Berman, then in quick succession Jonathan Winters, Phyllis Diller and Jackie Mason. I remember well how it was difficult to find Verve LPs in Canada because they were distributed by a small company called Musimart, and also licensed through the Columbia Record Club..and their albums always sold up here for $5.98 while you could by RCA and Columbia lps for $4.29. > Does anyone know when Polygram bought Verve from MGM and does anyone know > definitively if they bought all of MGM's record labels at the same time? MGM had been licensing material from Polydor and DG for a number of years, even importing DG pressings and selling them in thick packaging..maybe this was after DG's deal with Decca ended, maybe concurrently. The MGM books (Ruppli) refer at one point to "The Polydor Era", beginning in 1975..could that be the date it purchased the entire MGM label, which included Verve? > Whichever company owned Verve in the late 60's reissued a lot of the 50's > albums as budget-priced LPs. VSP, I think..aside from Metro, which was a horrible budget label of MGM's that mixed MGM and Verve sides, fake stereo and real, with no documentation. > Then a bunch of the really early stuff was > licensed to Book of the Month Club in the 70's. I have a bunch of those > reissues and they are actually not bad. They seem to be remastered from the > original tapes, and done pretty well at that. Not pressed on the best vinyl > in the world, but not the worst either. Cheapo thin cardboard sleeves but > original liner notes and artwork reproduced pretty well. > > -- Tom Fine dl