Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:26:17 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jerome Hartke <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)

Just a reminder that archivists are utilizing storage products that are designed and manufactured for the mass market. This has two advantages. First, cost is very low because of the very large consumer market. Second, compatibility is high because of the very large installed base. When professional users are given the cost of products tailored for their needs, the usual response is that the high cost cannot be justified because of the ready availability of cheap, consumer grade discs and drives. Gentlemen, we usually get what we pay for. Jerry Media Sciences, Inc. > -----Original Message----- > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Spencer > Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 10:41 PM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio > CDs) > > Dear Tom, > > Considering all of the variables that surround the creation (and > retrieval) of optical media archival storage, I must say that > "industry standardization" regarding CD-R is at best a misplaced > argument. Many users of CD-R media for backup look for the best deal > (100 spindle for $25, total junk) and expect that to be a good > archival format. Even if you are using the best archival Gold CD-R > media out there, you have (at best) a perilous digital archive. > > It is not about the shelf life, it is about the availability of > drives (and perhaps compatible software/ firmware) on which you place > your assets. > > Regarding DVD+/-R, I would say that your hopes may or may not have an > influence on which camp wins (DVD-HD/ Blu-Ray), and no one knows the > backwards compatibility of the next generation readers. > > John > > John Spencer > www.bridgemediasolutions.com > > > On Oct 3, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Tom Fine wrote: > > > That's a good harbinger > > for the long-term viability of the CDR format. This is an example > > where > > industry standardization on a method and form factor is a very Good > > Thing. > > I'm hoping very much that DVD+/-R is a continuation of the Good > > Thing but > > it's pretty early to pass judgement. > >