Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:51:20 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Authoritative original sequence of two Verve records

Thanks to everyone who responded to this. By the way, the iTunes-only release of these albums doesn't sound as horrible as it could. That AAC format is not as lossy as comparable-sized MP3, so, for instance, the songs are not plagued with digi-swishy in the background. But they're a far cry from CD quality -- thin, shrill and lacking punch and impact. I imagine the original LPs sound better, which is sad because it's terrible when audio quality takes a step back. With these new iPods holding gigabytes of data, and the typical iTunes consumer, I'd bet, having broadband access, I can't understand why Universal and Apple don't put the files out in twice or 3x the resolution. I can understand why they'd choose copy-restricted AAC, but why crunched-too-small AAC? They could do these files with 3x bitrates and I bet they'd sound a lot nearer to good and still be less than half the size of a CD audio file. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldberg" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:10 AM Subject: [ARSCLIST] Authoritative original sequence of two Verve records > Since my modem blew out last week, and I just installed a new one, I > have not been able to read all of the postings about the two Harry > Edison recordings. I have checked both vinyl issues and the original > sequence from the vinyl matches the order originally posted. > > [The Swinger - Verve MGVS 6037] > Pussy Willow > The Very Thought Of You > Nasty > The Strollers > Sunday > Fair Ground > > [Mr. Swing - Verve MGVS 6118] > Love Is Here To Stay > Short Coat > Baby, Won't You Please Come Home? > Impressario > Ill Wind > > Eric Goldberg