Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:48:25 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: original sequence of two Verve records

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> > It's one in the same guy, but there are other contributors to jazzdisco.org. > Like I said, he's a nice guy as judged by our e-mail correspondence, so I'm > willing to cut him a lot of slack for at least putting this gigantic amount > of info online. His sources for wrong info in the jazzdisco.org sites are > usually published discographies like that multi-book Mercury one. And, I'll > not lay all the blame on the discography authors and publishers because I > think most myths and mistakes are due to misinterpretation of sketchy, > disorganized or incomplete company records. Think of it this way -- what if > 24 tracks and months of sessions were the norm during the great days of jazz > (or course, I'd bet they wouldn't have been so great in that case!). Imagine > the reems of session documents to be lost! One of the basic inevitabilities in discography is the fact that any error(s) made in the first available documentation of a specific body of recordings will be accepted as gospel truth and repeated in subsequent discographic works...while later corrections, even if accurate, will often be forgotten or ignored! Steven C. Barr