Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:06:58 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: original sequence of two Verve records

It's one in the same guy, but there are other contributors to jazzdisco.org. Like I said, he's a nice guy as judged by our e-mail correspondence, so I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack for at least putting this gigantic amount of info online. His sources for wrong info in the jazzdisco.org sites are usually published discographies like that multi-book Mercury one. And, I'll not lay all the blame on the discography authors and publishers because I think most myths and mistakes are due to misinterpretation of sketchy, disorganized or incomplete company records. Think of it this way -- what if 24 tracks and months of sessions were the norm during the great days of jazz (or course, I'd bet they wouldn't have been so great in that case!). Imagine the reems of session documents to be lost! I just read an article in this month's Mix magazine about remixing Talking Heads albums from very recent times (mid and late 80s). Apparently, the documentation for the multi-track tapes was sketchy enough that it wasn't clear what was where until the tapes were transferred and re-logged with more precision. So somewhat sloppy session record keeping is neither old nor new. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Fitzgerald" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 7:44 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] original sequence of two Verve records > I'm far more likely to believe THIS Japanese Mercury website: > > http://microgroove.jp/mercury/ > > than this one: > > http://www.jazzdisco.org/mercury/ > > Although I do note that the Matsubayashi name appears on both. I've > just found too many problems with other things on the latter site. > > Your mention of album pictures makes me think you are looking at the > former too. The jazzdisco.org site has no pictures. > > Mike > > > > mike at JazzDiscography.com > http://www.JazzDiscography.com