Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:59:53 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: original sequence of two Verve records

I'm still waiting for you to tell us officially that you're Bob Fine's son..correct? dl Tom Fine wrote: > I can speak a little bit to Mercury's historic preferences for studios for > jazz sessions. That doesn't mean that all sessions done in these cities were > done only at these studios, but these were the main players. > > For New York: Fine Sound (1953-1956), Capitol NYC, Nola Penthouse Studio, > Fine Recording (1958-1971 but Mercury probably made their last jazz session > there in 1964), A&R from the early 60's onward, Bell Sound during their hot > period (early 60s), and probably a couple or a few at Olmstead. For Los > Angeles: Radio Recorders early on and then Capitol and later Bill Putnam's > studios. For Chicago: almost all at Putnam's Universal Studios. > > For Verve, Norman Granz did most of his NYC mid-50's studio work at Fine > Sound and some at Fine Recording before he sold to MGM. He also did a lot of > work at Fulton Sound (might be officially called Fulton Studios) and did > some late 50's and very early 60's work at Olmstead (that fantastic-sounding > Buddy Rich album "Blue Caravan") and Capitol NYC and Nola. In California, > Granz did all or most work at Radio Recorders. I'm not totally sure who all > he used for live engineers but I know my father did some of the early Jazz > at the Philharmonic concert recordings in NY. In the late 40's and early > 50's, Granz worked at Reeves Studios NYC. Come to think of it, there are > some Verve albums up into the 50's done at Reeves also. > > >From what I see on Verve reissue discs, there seem to be large gaps in the > documentation. Yet, as of the time that MGM was reissuing Verve on > budget-priced LPs, they usually had studio info and even the engineer's name > listed. And of course this info was listed on every Mercury jazz album for a > while, which particularly irks me when I see a reissue CD with wrong info. > Surely someone at the record company could just look at the LP jacket image > on the Japanese website (many if not most Mercury jazz LPs jacket images are > up there) if they have questions or doubts! In the case of the Impulse > albums, many of those covers are full of studio photographs, and many of the > engineers' names are listed so just a little sleuthing would turn up the > full info. > > -- Tom Fine