Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:37:53 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: NY Phil release date needed (Columbia)

It looks as if the album was issued in 1955, which puts Gart's American Record Label Discography out of joint (it shows CL 820 as February 1956). October 1955 Schwann lists the Richard Rodgers album, and unstarred, so it must have appeared a month or two earlier (it's not in the May '55 issue, the only other one I have for that year). David Lennick wrote: > The matrix numbers correspond to that time, but the LP itself dates the benefit > concert to November 15/54. But the catalog number (CL 810) could be very late 1955 > or January 1956. It's listed in the August 1956 Schwann but that's before the > period where it gave dates (for first listing, which wouldn't give us an exact > release date in any event). > > Since the sales of the LP were to contribute to the Orchestra's Pension Fund, there > must have been publicity when it was released. > > dl > > Stan Punzel wrote: > > > I can't give you a release date, but I know that the recording was done > > after the persion fund benefit concert that took place in December 1954. > > So my guess is in the first half of 1955. > > > > Stan > > > > David Lennick wrote: > > > > >Can anyone pinpoint an issue date for Columbia CL 810, Richard Rodgers > > >conducting the New York Philharmonic? Per Gart, CL 820 dates from February > > >1956..just wondered if there was a more accurate date for 810, or if it had a > > >previous life as an ML Masterworks release. Matrix numbers are XLP 34520/1 and > > >the program material is derived from a benefit concert, November 15, 1954 > > >(probably recorded shortly thereafter). > > > > > >Thanks > > >DL > > > > > > > > >