Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:25:42 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Seen at AES NYC

Isn't it difficult to get the voltage swing needed for good opamp-based preamps when your power source is 2 or 4 AA batteries? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Phillips" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:36 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Seen at AES NYC One wonders why they are having so much trouble providing decent mic preamps on these devices. It isn't exactly rocket science, unless the analog design portion was turned over to digital design engineers... Designing really great preamps is a challenge, but these devices aren't even hitting an ordinary 'good' level in an area that is fundamental to their design use. -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lou Judson Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 10:49 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Seen at AES NYC If you are taking a board feed only, then you aren't even using the preamps, are you? Thus your experience doesn't include the mic pres... <L> Lou Judson * Intuitive Audio 415-883-2689 On Oct 12, 2005, at 4:26 AM, Prentice, Will wrote: > We use the Fostex FR2 for documentary recording of live music and > theatre performances, in each case simply taking a feed from the house > mixing desk (which is the extent of our remit in that regard). The > noisefloor from lighting, heating etc is such that preamp performance > of the Fostex hasn't been an issue. That said, at the time we bought > them the only other contender in the price range was the Marantz > PMD670, which had a noticeably noisier preamp, and other features less > appropriate to our needs. > > Will