Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:21:29 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Seen at AES NYC
Comments: cc: Ampex List <[log in to unmask]>

I'm cross-posting this to the Ampex and ARSC lists since both have had discussions recently about field recorders. Digital solid-state recorders are definitely where news-gathering is moving. At AES were two very interesting devices. Each may or may not be adequate for music work, but they'd sure simplify field interviews. I'd argue the second one, in particular, would be perfectly fine to capture a rehearsal or club gig and could also take an unbalanced feed from a soundboard (ie a headphones feed). First was an omnidirectional mic with a built-in 1 gig flash recorder from HHB (might be HBB -- I don't have the literature at this location and I get confused which they are). That will be on sale by the end of this year. It can record up to 48/16-bit, but their initial release did not include 44.1/16! The sales guy assured me and a lady from one of the Canadian broadcast outfits that the final version will include CD-standard audio since, it turns out, many broadcast plants are standardized on that format. This one seems very much geared toward the radio reporter with a hand-held mic. I would use it for interviews, but some insist on lav mics so it would not be for them. Note that 1gig is it -- no removable media. There's a reason for that, see below. The other one that caught my eye was Nagra's new unit. It's about the size of a microcassette recorder, but 1/3 or less the weight and no moving parts. Runs on 2x AA batteries. Nice big screen and very easy user interface. This unit has a stereo pair of electret mics plugged into the top. You can unplug them and have an unbalanced stereo mic input, and next to it an unbalanced stereo line input. No phantom power, of course, but obviously some battery power for the standard-issue electrets. I have some experience with a similar setup on an MD recorder and this setup captures far more audio far better than you'd think, but the picky will not like it. Of course, on an MD recorder the mics usually pick up transport noise, which will not be a problem here. The user interface is clear and easy, and you can edit and insert timing marks right in the device. Built-in 1 gig of flash memory. Being a Nagra, it lists for $1000, which is pretty steep for what it is, but it's built like a Nagra so it'll last in the field. So why not removable media? Both sales people told me that 2 AA batteries was the power the units were built for and that's not enough to power CompactFlash for hours of recording. Plus, news departments lose removable media and the word from on high in broadcast journalism was -- nothing a reporter can lose, misplace or have their kids grab from their bag to use in the digi-cam. Both of these units plug in via USB and mount right up as hard drives for MacOS or Win2k/XP. I think the Nagra comes with some editing/export/import software. For my needs, the HHB unit is non-ideal and the Nagra is too expensive. But I'm hoping someone designing a $300 unit will look at the feature sets of these two and do one for the rest of us. I've decided the current crop of $400 units (M-Audio/Edirol/others) are too ambitious for their price points and could do simpler units that work better. I don't really care about the weight/bulk of 4xAA batteries if that gives me CompactFlash, so in that way the M-Audio and Edirol units are a better fit. I am pretty confident that this is the way portable recording is going, so I think the next generation of devices out in 6-12 months will offer better form-factors and more appropriate features and interfaces, probably for less cost. So I plan to wait and see. -- Tom Fine