Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:14:06 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Copyright of treasures

Karl Miller wrote: > Mike raises an interesting point. Consider the situation where a school > records a performance of an undergraduate who, over time, becomes an > internationally recognized performer. Their graduate recital can be part > of the dissertation and right might have been transfered to another > agency. Should a school be allowed to raise funds by selling copies of > past student recitals? I'll not address the rest of Karl's post; my incompetence will show sufficiently here. The student's recital is part of her education. She has no rights to any recording made; it belongs to the school. The situation is similar when student notes are compiled and elaborated into a text; there, the rights are usually jointly held by the school and the instructor depending on the elaboration. That is my understanding as of many years ago when Halmos's math materials and Fermi's on physics were published for use in later classes. My understanding is that in practice under the conditions described the school would be likely to ask for permission to issue the material, but that that would not be essential to publication. Mike -- [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/