Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:11:13 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Copyright of treasures

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Lou Judson wrote: > ... and if fairness reigned, perofrmers would get paid for their work > every time a label sells a copy! Sadly that does not happen all to > often. But that is another topic entirely! Yes, but then...consider Naxos...as far as I know, they buy the performance. I would wager that we would not have the benefits of the Naxos label were it not for this practice. In classical music, the market place is very different. As for paying royalties on a per sale basis...for my label we cut only one check...assuming we have any net...Besides the mechanical rights, we have only one performer contract per disc. There is no way we could afford to maintain the accounting infrastructure to support multiple contracts and stay in business. Karl