Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:24:14 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Storage of audio CDs

DATs are indeed going the way of the dinosaurs. I never liked them but the good thing about them is as long as the they're not error-killed, they easily transfer without quality loss. I'm all set up for DAT-to-DAW digital here (44.1 or 48K, whatever your DATs are). If you have material that I'm interested in, I offer very deep discounts because I consider it more a mind-expanding exercise than work. Ping me off-list if you're interested. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 10:46 AM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio CDs > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Steven C. Barr wrote: > > > Except that corporations, especially digitally-based corporations, > > often have lifespans considerably shorter than we would desire for > > data availability! > > To which I will add...corporations that make proprietary software which > someone might use for storage and/or retrieval. > > And, on a related note. I guess I must not be keeping up with things much > lately...but yesterday a friend of mine was asking about recommendations > on which DAT machine to buy to replace his...I was rather surprised to see > that the format seems to be disappearing quickly. > > Perhaps someone on the list has some information on this...are DAT > machines about to go the way of the 8-track cartridge? > > Karl