Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:49:00 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: legal action, and libraries & archives

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Matthew Snyder wrote: > First, regarding the restrictions that institutions put on who can hear > archived holdings with murky legal status, it should be stressed that for > most major institutions (and probably most minor ones as well), the main > worry is getting sued down to their skivvies by a copyright holder who > pops out from under a rock with a lawyer by his side. If a library has a deposit agreement which limits the auditioning of copyrighted material to a controlled environment, I can understand concern, however, from a technological standpoint this is impossible to enforce. If there is not a prior agreement, the copyright does not hold the library responsible for an unsupervised copy being made. I wonder if there is any case history of libraries being sued? Also, as I have stated before...when a copy is duplicated, the person making the copy can be held responsible. I know of no case history of any individual being sued for making a single copy of anything. My guess is that there isn't much point in going after any individual unless they were a Bill Gates. > The point here is > that a library's job is NOT to keep everything it ever gets. Archives do > that, and even then they don't keep EVERYTHING, they only collect what > they define as being part of their mission. Yes, but, do you believe a library has an ethical responsibility to explore venues of disposal which could make those materials available to archives and individuals who could make good use of those materials...and/or make every reasonable effort to maximize a potential revenue stream from the disposal of those materials. I am reminded of the old days when we had our book sales...which was, in my opinion, a great benefit to scholarship and the intergrity of the materials. The down side was a rare first edition book which was donated to the library...marked for sale at $1 and discovered by the donor of the book on the book sale shelf. That was the last book sale we had...now we just surplus...which means an equivalent situation could have that book being sold for a few pennies...the only difference being that the donor might not be aware of how little his donation was valued. Karl