Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 2005 18:09:01 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 78's and PD, was Curatorial Responsibility,
              formerly Copyright of treasures

"Prentice, Will" wrote: > Mike Richter wrote: > > "in Europe if > one takes a recording of a PD work from a recent LP or a current CD, it > is still PD" > > Maybe 9 months ago or so I was told by someone who's job it is to know, > that this was a widely acknowledged grey area in EU law. Up to that > point at least, this assumption had never been tested in a court of law. > Some assume such a recording is PD, others that it's copyright of the > re-issuer. > > Will Having heard my transfers turn up on issues from Britain, Germany and Israel (where they manufacture those Prism Leisure ripoffs), about all I can do is fuss and fume, since this obviously isn't worth anyone's time (including the companies for whom I did the original transfers). Reissue compilations barely pay their way as it is. I can understand the original recording remaining PD, but not a new restoration. dl