Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:36:30 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Richard Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 78's and PD, was Curatorial Responsibility,
              formerly Copyright of treasures

If your question refers to the United States, the answer is 0 per cent. Richard At 09:36 AM 10/7/2005, you wrote: >Does anyone have any idea what percentage of commercially-produced 78's are >now in the PD? When, for instance, CBS/Sony re-issues Duke Ellington 78's as >multi-CD collections, are those now re-copyrighted for 50+ years? And what >about that guy Joe Buzzard down in Maryland -- is he just flying under the >radar or is it perfectly legit for him to reissue all of his obscure blues, >country and bluegrass 78's? He comes off as a somewhat goofy collector, but >I get the sense he's a very shrewd business man too, and I wouldn't be >surprised if his venture is pretty profitable even though it seems >labor-intensive. I've read several interviews with him, but he never >squarely addresses the copyright issue except to say he's never been pursued >or prosecuted. > >-- Tom Fine > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]> >To: <[log in to unmask]> >Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 9:17 AM >Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Curatorial Responsibility, formerly Copyright of >treasures > > > > On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Richard L. Hess wrote: > > > > > What about the sell-off and destruction of many of the runs of old > > > newspapers that Nicholson Baker documents in "Double Fold"? Including > > > a set of a major NY Newspaper that had been presented by the publisher. > > > > And, what really gets my goat...here, instead of having a record sale, I > > was forced into selling off duplicate 78s in a single lot. Not all of it > > was great, but some of the items were of value. About 5,000 discs sold for > > $10. I just don't understand the thinking. > > > > Karl