Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:15:20 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: old acetate tapes - curling/tape tension remedies?

Parker Dinkins wrote: > on 10/6/05 10:37 AM US/Central, dave n at [log in to unmask] > wrote: > > > I'm looking for information about how anyone here on the arsc-list has handled > > and transferred old acetate tapes that have begun to curl? > > > > Does anyone have a favorite machine that they use for playback, where one can > > gently increase tape tension to improve the tape->head contact? > > Yes, a TASCAM 42 or 44 with a hex driver stuck in the deck lid at any one of > several points on the supply side can increase drag and tape tension to > almost any level required. In extreme cases, I've routed the tape behind the > lifters to increase drag. > > This technique is machine-dependent; you're not going to be able to do it on > many machines. > > I've never had a curled acetate tape that I couldn't play. In some cases, > the speed is affected, but the tape will play. > > > I'm not much of a bench tech, and have usually resorted to machines that have > > tension settings for 7" & 10" reels, but I imagine there's probably a better > > and more fine-tuned way to do this... > > I never found a machine's tension settings to be sufficient for very badly > curled acetate tape. Our Studer A820 simply wouldn't allow for it. You're > pretty much abusing your machine to increase tension to the levels required, > and some machines just won't permit it. > > > Also - has anyone ever resorted to using any sort of pressure pad, however > > gentle, to improve contact? > > Yes, but the problem with pressure pads is that it messes up the head wrap > when applied directly at the repro head. In extreme instances, and I've survived the process though it's a painful one, the old "hold the finger against the tape head" technique still works. A couple of years ago I was sent an aircheck of the first Stan Freberg Show..the "as aired" version, not the one he put out on Capitol and on CD. Nothing would facilitate complete head contact except my index finger. For half an hour. (Okay, if you get tired let's assume you can stop and start and edit.) dl