Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:47:36 EDT
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: Curatorial Responsibility, formerly Copyright of treasures
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 10/6/2005 11:48:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes: One can, of course say that the long term preservation of these materials is for the common good, hence a justification for the use of tax payer money...however...the fact that I can't hear the good sounding copies of say the Stokowski NBC broadcasts ...which have been preserved, I believe, with taxpayer money...without going to LC, rubs me the wrong way, even if it is the law. **************** As an unrelated but analogeous example a bill has been introduced in congress that would prohibit the distribution of weathjer radar information to the public if it is also provided by private commercial services: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:s786: ........ " b) COMPETITION WITH PRIVATE SECTOR- The Secretary of Commerce shall not provide, or assist other entities in providing, a product or service (other than a product or service described in subsection (a)(1)) that is or could be provided by the private sector unless-- "(1) the Secretary determines that the private sector is unwilling or unable to provide such product or service; or "(2) the United States Government is obligated to provide such product or service under international aviation agreements to provide meteorological services and exchange meteorological information." ...... As a paliative the national weather service now does not update the onlne weather radar maps and animations during prime TV news broadcast times: 7-9AM & 5-7PM. This is just the time when violent local storms are likely to develop in this area. Fortunately I am close enough to the Canadian border to be covered by the King City, Ontario station. However it is very disturbing that, having contributed to the billions of tax dollars spent on satellites, radar, and communications systems, I have to go to a foreign country to get essential weather data. Commercial interests rule in this country. Does the average taxpayer know? Or care? Mike Csontos