Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:39:56 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Curatorial Responsibility, formerly Copyright of treasures

"Richard L. Hess" wrote: > At 11:27 AM 10/6/2005, Karl Miller wrote: > > >A notion which is increasingly having institutions refuse to accept > >collections that come without endowments to cover the preservation > >costs... Plus, as we have read in the pages of the NY Times, museums and > >such compromising the trust of donors, and the public by selling off > >materials...in the name of keeping the museum, archive...etc. functioning. > > > > What about the sell-off and destruction of many of the runs of old > newspapers that Nicholson Baker documents in "Double Fold"? Including > a set of a major NY Newspaper that had been presented by the publisher. > > I recently purchased a 3-volume set of the monumental 20-year-old > Atlas of Canadian History produced by Univ of Toronto. > > I was saddened to see that Vol 1 was a de-accessioned library copy > from a high school in Canada. Wouldn't you think that the high school > would want this on hand as a reference book. My brother-in-law (book > lover and Ph.D. in history) was saddened to see that Vol 3 was a > presentation copy to someone. Vol 2 although purchased used, appeared > to be new-old-stock. > > So now I have the 3-volume set at the new cost of the abridged > one-volume version, or 1/3 the cost of a new set of the 3-volume set. > But WHY are libraries dumping this stuff? With something of this > nature, even if people don't look at it, I would think it would be > their fond hope that someone would take the initiative to read it. > Now if I can only get my kids to read it instead of watching animations on TV. > > Cheers, > > Richard A couple of years ago I stopped in at the Port Union library branch to look at their fifty-cent table and what did I find but a signed copy of Halina Rodzinski's book. No idea how it would have ended up there in the first place..probably a donation. (It went to Dave Canfield since I already had a copy.) dl