Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:37:00 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         dave n <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      old acetate tapes - curling/tape tension remedies?
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Hello all - I'm looking for information about how anyone here on the arsc-list has handled and transferred old acetate tapes that have begun to curl? Does anyone have a favorite machine that they use for playback, where one can gently increase tape tension to improve the tape->head contact? I'm not much of a bench tech, and have usually resorted to machines that have tension settings for 7" & 10" reels, but I imagine there's probably a better and more fine-tuned way to do this... Also - has anyone ever resorted to using any sort of pressure pad, however gentle, to improve contact? I think there might have been some recent discussion of this here, but I'm not finding it using the arsc-list web interface archive search... Thanks for any techniques anyone can recommend here :-) dave nolan 92nd St. Y