Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 00:41:24 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Copyright of treasures (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio
              CDs (preservation by distribution))

"Steven C. Barr" wrote: > > Karl Miller wrote: > > > > > And, knowing that the subscribers to this list are amongst the best in > > > reformatting and restoration...I would wonder if anyone would like to > > > share stories on recordings they have preserved that they consider to be > > > treasures...things that, for reasons of the US copyrights, and the > > > potential costs involved (legal and license fees, etc) cannot be made > > > available to the general public. Recordings that may reside in private > > > hands and/or have not been listed in any of the major bibliographic > > > utilities. > > > Actually, because I live in Canada, I can reissue anything from my > half-vast 78rpm archive that was recorded before January 1, 1955; > in fact, I could offer the copies on the Internet, but all you > US-ians would be breaking the law if you bought them! I would, > however, have to pay the Harry Fox Agency to be entirely legal. > > Note that this is as I understand it... > > Steven C. Barr No, I think you can legally issue anything in Canada that was ISSUED before January 1/55 and deal with CRIA if you're manufacturing in Canada, not Harry Fox. And there's nothing to stop any US customer from purchasing from a Canadian dealer. As of a few years ago, my understanding was that CRIA didn't want to be bothered if you were selling only a few hundred copies of your product....maybe that's changed with the proliferation of file-sharing and illegal copying. dl