Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 10 May 2005 10:04:13 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Cataloging sound recordings

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Eugene DeAnna wrote: > I've been following this thread with interest. I just want to point out that at the Library of Congress, we acquire, on average, 60 - 75,000 sound recordings per year. This includes published and unpublished material on virtually every format imaginable, current and obsolete. Cataloging staff working on audio averages out to about 12-15 catalogers and 10 technicians over the course of a year. Based upon that rate of acquisition, assuming there is no increase in those numbers, you will acquire 1.9 Million sound recordings (the number currently cataloged in OCLC) in a little over 25 years. MARC is 40 years old. True, it was not universally adopted at its inception, but it seems to me that it would suggest that even with all of the OCLC members supplying copy, it could take say 35 years to catalog what LC acquires over a 25 year period, leaving one ten years behind. Also, we are not factoring in the backlogs. > Taking this approach for current pop and childrens music for example, allows us to allocate staff time to create full, original-input records for, say, Stokowski BSO performances recorded by the Voice of America that only we may have, As an aside, speaking of Stokowski and the BSO, check out koussevitzky.com While the VOA copies are likely to be in great sound, I have, in my personal collection just about all of the Stokowski BSO broadcasts...second and third generation copies mostly. I responded to the mention of the Stokowski because there is a wealth of material that is held in private hands. Off the top of my head, I am reminded of many inhouse tapes I have of the New York Philharmonic. These were made at a time when they were not broadcasting and/or recording their concerts...things like Roy Harris conducting his 11th Symphony...I made a copy for our archive and it has been cataloged, but you get the idea. If a system was user friendly, and FREE, not only could it reduce the cost for an institution to prepare records, but it might invite the private collector to input their personal holdings. Might there be false entries, sure, but then there could also be revelations. As to monitoring the "honesty" of entries...well, while it isn't always successful, ebay lets you rate the vendor. Consider also the potential of a simple system which could be used by a staff of volunteers. I often wonder what other treasures are hidden out there, even in institutional collections. Would you like to hear Janis Joplin singing before her voice got raspy? Years ago I made a transfer of her singing at a local club here in Austin. Her voice was pure and clear. The recordings are in the University's Center for American History. As far as I know, there is no bib record for those recordings. Over the years I have encountered composer's recordings of their works in their closets. I have tried to copy as much of that as I could find, even before I had any association with a library. Others have as well. I would wager there are at least as many non commercial recordings worth keeping (at best a subjective notion) in private hands as can be found in institutional collections. Even in the area of commercial recordings, one can look at the Canfield guides and find many commercial recordings that are not listed in OCLC... I think of the historically important recordings held in the libraries of music departments. Very little of this material is cataloged, let alone preserved. Some institutions like Indiana University are making a serious effort to address these concerns, yet, as far as I know, most are not. I would guess it is a question of priorities/money...time and, I would wager, the complexity of the preparation of the bibliographic record...and of course, the preservation issues. From my own experience, acquiring and cataloging a recording by the conductor de jour is considered a higher priority over the preservation of a recording in their music department's archive that might be unique. I recall an NEH grant of some 25+ years ago, to preserve and catalog the holdings of the Eastman School of Music recording lab. As far as I know, what cataloging was done is not on OCLC. Personally I found it fascinating to think that there are performances of things like one of the student Symphonies written by David Diamond. I found out by asking them. I should add that, as far as I know, even with that substantial grant, with highly qualified people working on it implementation, very little of that collection has been reformatted...performances going back to the early 1930s, nor, as far as I know, are there any MARC records for those items. How much of this backlog can be attributed to the process of cataloging. If there is a way to simplify restoration, I am unaware of it, yet I see student employees doing that sort of work, with little, if any training in the technology, and studying instead of listening while they are transferring. Twenty minutes of drop out from the deposit of some oxide on a tape head might easily be missed...yet the process of cataloging (within the context of the more accepted cataloging modalities) is seen to require immense concentration and a high level of skill and training. Yet both activities require concentration and skill sets, yet it would seem that perhaps, at this point in time, only cataloging is considered as requiring an appropriate level of employment...even if there could be ways to simplify that process. For that matter, I believe that some thought coud be given to simplifying the process of reformatting. Why not a simple, expandable, free, system for cataloging. The lack of authority work will inhibit searching, and perhaps the loading of the Rigler Deutsch in RLIN was considered by many to be a catastrophic move. However, it just seems to me that placing a greater emphasis on searching, versus control, is the only answer to the backlog in cataloging. Are such a notions totally unrealistic? If so, I would wonder for what reasons. Karl