Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2005 09:19:33 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jerry Young <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Collector descriptions. The CD collector

Not later, but worth mentioning in this context is "Just like Gene Autry: A Foxtrot" on Moby Grape's 1968 album Wow, featuring Arthur Godfrey, who in the reissue studio outtakes sounded like he enjoyed many of the same diversions that the band did. Recorded on one part of one side of a 2 lp set with a little introduction telling us to change the speed on our turntables. I wondered if they called it Wow because the 78 cut has it in sea-sick spades -- I assume they cut it to a 78 acetate and played it back off center. Pity their next release wasn't called "Flutter." at 08:50 AM, Robert Hodge wrote: Hello , One of the Robert Crumb records is recorded at 78 rpm , on 12 inch red vinyl , using a 1.5 mil groove. Stereo, of course. It's " Robert Crumb And His Cheap Suit Serenaders". They play: " My Girls Pussy" - VERY double entendre , This seemed single entendre; you'd have to be a saint to think he might have been singing about a cat. Jerry --- David Lennick <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Aaron Z Snyder wrote: > > > Robert Hodge wrote: > > > > > > One of the Robert Crumb records is recorded at > 78 rpm , on 12 > > > inch red vinyl , using a 1.5 mil groove. > Stereo, of course. > > > It's " Robert Crumb And His Cheap Suit > Serenaders". They > > > play: " My Girls Pussy" - VERY double entendre , > but still in > > > good taste with 1920's lyrics, and "Christopher > Columbus" in > > > a very hot dance arrangement. > > > > > > > > > They also recorded a 10 inch disc, several years > before, but > > > I don't have that one. > > > > I do! It's "River Blues" (side A: String Band with > Singing) and "Wisconsin > > Wiggles" (side B: String Band with Musical Saw, > with (it sez here) > > > > R. Crumb and his Keep-on-Truckin' Orchestra. The > label is "Ordinary Record", > > with the motto "A High Standard of Standardness". > The label also says "KRUPP > > / RECORDING LABORATORY / MILWAUKEE / WISCONSIN", > whereas the paper sleeve, > > with Crumb artwork in the style of typical early > 30s sleeves, says "MADE BY > > / KRUPP COMIC WORKS / P.O. BOX 5699 MILWAUKEE > 53211, WIS. / U.S.A." > > > > It's a 10-inch black vinyl 78, with (it appears to > be) 1.5-mil grooves and a > > 33.3 rpm - size label. > > > > It's one of those collectors' items which I was > lucky enough to come across > > when it was first published. Unfortunately I > completely missed "My Girl's > > Pussy" when it made its brief appearance, and I > hope that a decent copy will > > eventually appear in some sort of non-compressed > digital format. (An mp3 has > > been making the rounds for a few years, but the > quality isn't good and it > > has a groove skip.) > > > > Aaron Z > > For what it's worth, I DO have a good tape transfer > of MGP (b/w Christopher > Columbus) that I made in the early 80s, the Edmonton > Public Library actually > having a copy of that disc in circulation. Surprised > Dr Demento hasn't reissued > > it..how about it, Barry? Along with the other Crumb > items. (Wisconsin > Wiggles/River Blues came to me a couple of years ago > when one of the > participants found some new copies and offered them > at about $15 each.) > > dl >