Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 21 May 2005 21:14:17 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Collector descriptions. The CD collector

----- Original Message ----- From: "steven austin" <[log in to unmask]> > While we're wondering about that one...would anyone know what the > current last commercially-released 78RPM pressing in the US might have > been? > The last one I saw was "Mr. Bojangles/Uncle Charlie Interview No 2 & > Spanish Fandango" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on LIBERTY 56197 > (LB-2889/2890-78) from 1970. One wonders if these late, pressed-on-vinyl, 78's should actually be considered "commercial 78's!" Latest 78 I've run across is an Atlantic issue by Ray Charles...forget the A side but the B was "Let the Good Times Roll." This was a Canadian issue, but I suspect it was on 78 in the US as well. I think Chess also pressed 78's into early 1960. As far as items like the one in the post above, there have been a handful of these special-issue items. I think there were four sides released under Joe Venuti's name that appeared on late 78, and I think a band led by "R. Crumb," the cartoonist, released a late 78 or two. Sadly, I can't recall the details. The latest 78 I own is an experimental/promotional issue by RCA Canada, probably dated from 1968. It features mono and stereo variants of a side (stereo 78!) and apparently was part of a two-disc set which also had a "quad" side (unknown if that was 78rpm!). Steven C. Barr