Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 20 May 2005 22:27:49 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Collector descriptions. The CD collector

----- Original Message ----- From: "Erik Dix" <[log in to unmask]> > I might be totally off and this might have been discussed before, but has > ever anybody tried musiccollector from www.collectorz.com. > I catalogued my mostly pop and rock cds and albums with it and it works > well for me. [I have ca. 1500 cds and 400 albums] > Just a thought.... The problem with using any proprietary software is that you can access your data, but it is usually impossible for anyone else without that specific application to do so! The one exception to this is (was?) dBASE, which has not only become a de facto interchange standard for database files but also can be used in a text editor (if you ignore file header data). My personal opinion is that the interchange and exchange of data is a vital consideration...if only because the only way my (highly theoretical) goal of an ultimate discographic database covering all extant 78rpm phonorecords can be accomplished is through combining databases covering different collections/accumulations. As a side thought...one wonders if there exist any 78rpm phonorecords which are known to have existed but for which no copies currently exist? Steven C. Barr