Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 2 May 2005 08:28:00 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Restoration Software

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Dave Nolan wrote: > I have to agree that for broadband denoising, the Waves X-Noise really > isn't as great as its $1000+ price tag might suggest. Invariably when > friends have played me audio denoised with X-Noise that "sounds great" to > them in their studio monitors (or on the home stereo), I could hear all > sorts of flange-y underwater-y artifacts by listening through a basic pair > of Sony 7506 headphones. Many monitors, even fairly expensive ones in > common use (Genelecs, Mackies, KRKs, etc...) seem to mask a lot of those > artifacts at normal listening volume, but they're there. > > The only way I trust whether a denoising job has been truly "transparent" > is by putting on the phones (usually at a higher-than usual volume for a > brief period of time) and making sure the denoise parameters were not so > aggressive as to create those artifacts. I agree on both points, but have found the x-noise to work well when used carefully and when monitoring with headphones. I found it much better that DINR which is available from digi. If you monitor the difference signal with x-noise and adjust the frequency, you can do a decent job, but you need to be mindful that it will not let you totally isolate what you want to remove. I will often use a parametric eq in conjunction with the x-noise. Also, from my own experience, sometimes, or so it seems to my ears, and eyes, that using the x-crackle before the x-click works can be better on some discs, especially LPs. Karl