Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 15 May 2005 09:30:57 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: How to digitize LPs at home ?
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

At 06:26 PM 5/14/2005 -0400, Siue Moffat wrote: >Hi, >I have this extensive record collection (33/45/78) that I haven't >listened to in 2 years because I've been moving around a lot and I just >want to digitize some of them to listen on an mp3 player. This is by no >means archiving them (I consider them in their best format right now)! >It's only for listening purposes. And although in my past life I was a >sound editor, I am NOT PICKY about tunes on my mp3 player! >I'm a little confused tho, how to hook up my potential record player to >my computer. At this point I don't even have a functioning player so >info on what kind of player I might be looking for is helpful too. I >don't want anything expensive. I'd rather buy some functioning player at >a garage sale and some how hook that into my lap top/desktop. BOth my >computers are not fancy - the only Ins are mini. Shareware suggestions >are also very useful. > >Thanks much! > >Siue This is not the best list for your question and there are ample references which may assist. MP3.COM has a great deal of information and there is some under analogue recording in the CD-recording primer at my WWW site. For that reason, I'll be brief. Many people find MusicMatch a good program for creating such catch-as-catch-can MP3s from audio sources. You will need a suitable turntable, cartridge with appropriate styli and a preamplifier. (Some turntables have the preamp built in.) The turntable connects to the preamp which in turn is Line in on your computer. Record level is adjusted using the control on the *recording* side of your mixer. If you use the Windows default mixer, information is in the primer; otherwise, use the manual for the one you have. Mike -- mrichter@cpl.net [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/