Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 13 May 2005 21:32:54 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Cataloging: Libraries and private collectors

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Smolian" <[log in to unmask]> > ERMA has an enormous amount of work to do to harmonize its titles before > condering its serious use. > > Interest has been shown in this thread by the Library of Congress and other > cataloging biggies. It is also making its way into some of the thinking of > those revising the AACR rules. I fantasize that what gets posted here may > influence what they do. > > When dividing the cataloging record into sections, the last is that relating > to the individual copy. That section is where personal opinions would go. > > The performer section should include a series of fields, one of which > indicates the relationship of any of the performers to the selection being > recorded: created role, world premiere, composer's son-in-law > (Sibelius-Jalas, for instance), composer supervised, etc. I'd also indicate > in a Performance Notes section if a Mozart vocal selection uses > appogiaturas. The former, if properly constructed, could be searchable and > listable, the latter just by key word. > > In many cases, a field can be left open when doing the basic cataloging, to > be filled in at a later time, either by the user or from an external source. > As this thread progresses, fields should be divided into which require input > to establish the basic entry and which are optional. In addition the former > should be split into those for which an authority file must be (created and) > consulted and those which are ok to enter in a less structured way. > > Since the composer relationships seriously affect record value, it can be of > great use to private collectors who, as a rule, are more concerned with the > dollar value of their records than are instituitions. > > For reissues, I would definitely include who did the transfer work. I will > often upgrade from one CD to another,based on this information. > > As to including reviews, it may be possible to refer and link to them. I > wouldn't include them here. Actually, this reply (and others in the thread) illustrate an important point about cataloguing sound recordings. For an institution, the time needed to fill all these fields reaches the point of impracticality; for individuals, the problem would be a lack of interest. I have developed a MS Access application I use to catalog my collection; it doesn't include a lot of the items above but does include fairly extensive discographic data on the recording. However, I suspect that anyone else using my application would simply skip over most of my fields, either because they had no idea where to find the applicable data or because they simply weren't interested and didn't expect to be! Basically, the point of a catalog, for both an individual or an institution, is "do I/we have this record, and if so where is it?" Of course, it is possible to create a more complex data table, enter the requisite data and then add the remaining item at a later date. In fact, I have another data table which contains only label, country, catalog number and which milk box the disc "lives." It has the advantage of being easy and quick to complete, but the fields can by moved to the main table and the data record for the phonorecord completed there as time permits. Steven C. Barr