Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:35:34 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: External A/D converter with AES/EBU output
Comments: To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
          <[log in to unmask]>, Chris Lacinak <[log in to unmask]>

Quoting Chris Lacinak <[log in to unmask]>: > I think it's important to remember two things here. > > 1. We're talking about preservation. I think so... > 2. the A/D converter is arguably the most important part of the chain in > digital preservation. While I don't disagree that the converter and everything in the chain is important, I strongly believe that the analog playback chain's quality (including native equipment quality and its proper adjustment to the recording at hand) is the single most important determinate of final sound quality. This statement also includes proper preparation of the analog recording for playback. (I will admit that we've had some really good discussions about disc cleaning. This is good!) Cheers, Richard