Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:07:54 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: External A/D converter with AES/EBU output

Hi, Andy, I think there is a missing piece here: Why are you bypassing the converters in the DAL CardDeluxe? They are rather competent as I understand it (it was on my short list--I ended up with an RME Multiface). Even Bruel and Kjaer have used it in the acoustics PC-based instrumentation, as I understand it. Http://www.pcavtech.com who actually tests cards in depth gives it an excellent rating. While you're asking for AES/EBU output and the DAL CardDeluxe is SPDIF in natively, DAL sells an AES/EBU and TOSLINK input adapter for $92. http://www.digitalaudio.com/DIGITALAUDIO/myarticles.asp?P=5216&S=75&PubID=4401 I'd be curious if the other responders to this feel that the CardDeluxe converters are inferior, and in what way. I can see applications where you'd rather route/run AES/EBU data than analog audio, but I'd like to understand the application. Many transfer suites are compact enough that the runs aren't long. Cheers, Richard -- Richard L. Hess http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Quoting andy kolovos <[log in to unmask]>: > Folks, > > Since we're on a product-suggestion line right now, I'm looking for > recommendations for an external 24/96 A/D converter with AES/EBU output. > Not interested in USB. > > Price range is $200-$2,000 or so, but leaning toward the middle of that > range. Would be going into a PC via a DAL CardDeluxe. > > Any thoughts? > > Thanks, > > andy > ********************************* > Andy Kolovos > Archivist/Folklorist > Vermont Folklife Center > P.O. Box 442 > Middlebury, VT 05753 > (802) 388-4964 > [log in to unmask] > http://www.vermontfolklifecenter.org >