Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:00:22 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: audio cassettes' hardiness

----- Original Message ----- From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> > We recently completed a project in Scandinavia involving the playback of > over 1,800 standard audio cassettes. These tapes had been stored in very > poor conditions and had suffered from poor handling. > > Of the 1,800 tapes, 13% would not play back in as-is condition. Of these > 13%, 10% represented primarily mechanical problems that were easily (or not > so easily) fixed. Of the 3% left over, all but 1/2 of 1% were restored > sufficiently for playback and the remaining tapes might have been restored > with additional effort (which the client chose to forego). > > I'm not a great advocate of standard audio tapes for preservation purposes > but being able to play back all but 1/2 of 1% after 20 plus years of abuse > is a pretty good track record. > Well, as I type this I'm listening to a cassette I recorded from my 78's in 1979...25 years ago! These tapes have never been stored with any particular care (other than being kept in their original cases). Further, these were low-end Sony blanks...probably type I, but date from before there were other types! Further, they are being played on a Sony "mini-boom-box"...miles from state-of-the-art. Still, I don't hear any speed variations or similar sign of play errors. I can't comment knowledgeably about bandwidth, since the content is mostly acoustic 78's which demand little in the way of bandwidth. However, Billy Murray, performing "I've Been Floating Down The Old Green River" (playing right now) sounds very much like I recall the record sounding... Steven C. Barr