Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:45:09 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Art Shifrin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      broken glass records--a possible approach to repair

Lance, that's a superb question. A brilliant chemist / inventor has developed a procedure in which a photographic emulsion can be non destructively removed from its original old paper and transferred to new material. I've seen samples of this terrific achievement at the Photography Department of the Musuem Of Art here in NYC. I can't recall the name of the vendor who developed the method, but certainly the curators there know. Even for disks that have broken into pieces, this might have important potential for retrieving sound from such broken & damaged media. Best, Shiffy