Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:25:51 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Miriam Meislik <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: guess-timate

Ironically, I just called two local vendors yesterday to get this same type of pricing quote. One vendor quoted $80 per hour for the transfer, $80 per hour studio time to clean the audio signal and make a CD quality file and $45 to create the master CD. The second vendor charges $100 per hour for the transfer, $185 per hour studio time to clean the audio signal and make a CD quality file, and $100 to create the CD master. The tapes I am interested in tranferring are poorly recorded oral history interviews with a good deal of hiss. I sent the tapes to one of the vendors so they can give me a sample of what I can expect in the new improved version. It is up to my client to decide if the project goes forward, but I also think that seeing if they would be willing to invest time into creating a sample for you is worth it. It would really be disappointing, not to mention a waste of money, if you just sent it and there wasn't much difference. Holly Dzyban wrote: > Wondering if anyone out there could give me a general idea of how much > it would cost to have some sound preservation work done. I am NOT > seeking a contractor. Just a general idea as to what I can expect. > > 1. How much would it cost to digitize one 60-minute speech tape at CD > quality? > > 2. If I had 60 minutes of digital speech with background noise, such > as tape hiss and feedback, how much would it cost to have the speech > amplified and the noise decreased? > > If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. I > just need something to pass on to my supervisors as far as expectations. > > Thanks, > > Holly > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes > <http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/hotjobs/mail_footer_email/evt=21482/*http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus> -- Miriam Meislik Associate Archivist Photograph Curator Archives of Industrial Society 7500 Thomas Blvd. University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA 15260 (412)244-7075 voice (412)244-7077 fax miriam@pitt.edu [log in to unmask] http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. --Steven Wright When your mouth drops open, click the shutter --Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001 Photography does not create eternity. . . it embalms time, rescuing it simply from its proper corruption. --André Bazin (1918–1958)