Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:03:42 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Michael Shoshani <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: A "modest proposal" based on the Elvis master tapes

Matthew Barton <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >It's doubtful--very doubtful--that this really is a Sun master tape. >There's a detailed article in today's NY Times, and one in yesterday's >Washington Post, about the murky provenance of this reel. For what it's >worth, the picture that accompanies the NY Times articles shows a man >holding up a 1/4" tape. Admittedly, record companies have been rather spotty about preservation of ANY archival material, and I am sure that RCA was any exception. But for their major cash cow one would think that they would have taken special precautions. At any rate, the Elvis "Legendary Performer" LPs that came out in the 1970s had photographic reproductions of the Scotch tape boxes that RCA purchased from Sam Phillips. As best I recall these boxes had rudimentary track information on them and most likely would have been originals. Even if they were dupes (had Sam Phillips kept the original session tapes and given high-quality dubs to RCA instead, would anyone have been the wiser? Both RCA/BMG and the Shelby Singleton Corporation seemed to have had their own individual copies of the session tape for the famed "Million Dollar Quartet"), they still give some indication that Elvis Presley's Sun output would have been recorded on a Scotch formulation. If someone were to find a 50 year old reel of the appropriate Scotch stock, clean up and calibrate a good-quality early 1950s vintage Ampex or Magnecord machine, and make a high quality 1/4" dub of the "Sun Sessions" album that BMG issued in the mid-late 1980s, would it be good enough to fool experts? Especially if one were to, say, stick it in an attic for a decade and a half? (I don't recall either BMG or the Presley Estate making any noises about these tape snippets being fraudulent, though. I would doubt that the Presley Estate has anyone with the technical knowledge to determine whether such a recording would be genuine, and given that BMG seems to be downsizing its archivists I wonder if anyone is left there that would know where any of its first-generation archive material from that era is stored. I'd bet money that Bernadette Moore could have authenticated or disproved this one in under a minute. :) ) Michael Shoshani Chicago IL