Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:45:08 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: USB flash hard drive as archive storage

Two thoughts: (1) Right now the cost per GB is huge compared to hard drives. A 1GB Compact Flash card is around $250. A 200GB Maxtor drive in USB/Firewire case with power supply is around $200. A 200:1 cost increase! Yes, I have almost 4GB of flash cards for my collection of digicams and PDA*, but I also travel with 80GB of external disk drives in my camera bag and 40GB as miscellaneous. (2) I recall reading somewhere that they suspect the flash memory to have become corrupt on Spirit. I did have one flash card "forget" and have to reformat it...it was fine since. There are the odd reports of scrambled Compact Flash cards in the Nikon forum I hang out in. More work needs to be done. It's intriguing, but way out of the ballpark pricewise at the moment. Cheers, Richard (*In order to certify me insane, my Nikon D100 has two 1G flash cards, my Olympus C750 has a 512M and a 256M, my wife's C750 has a 256M, my PalmOne T3 has a 256M, I gave a friend my older Kodak with a 256M, and my boys have 128M each in their Kodak 2MP digicams.) -- Richard L. Hess http://www.richardhess.com/ Quoting Jos Van Dyck <[log in to unmask]>: > What are your thoughts and expectations re. the use of so-called Pen > drives, > solid-state USB2 Flash memory sticks? No more mechanical problems with > drives! > Would these (or other solid-state storage devices) become a viable and > reliable > long-term storage alternative to CD-R, hard disk, tape or other > storage media? > What is their life expectation and vulnerability? > > Cheers, > Jos Van Dyck > NGM >