Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:02:25 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Donald Allan Mccatty <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      audio cassettes
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

I’m new to the list and I’m quite sure I’m revealing my ignorance, but what’s the current status of audio cassettes? Are they still the preferred format for anything (esp. oral history)? How does the immediate and long(how long?)term future look for tape cassettes and recorders? How long can a cassette tape be reliably stored? Years ago I taped a lot of Bill Monroe live shows; I had real doubts about longevity even at that time. Any recommended sources of info would be appreciated. -Don McCatty [log in to unmask]