Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:47:56 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Konrad Strauss <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Archive the hard drive, was CDR media longevity

on 1/21/04 1:50 PM, Grete Pasch at [log in to unmask] wrote: > Konrad Strauss wrote: > >> I believe that the trend is to move away from CD-R as a >> carrier to a file-based storage. Most archives cannot >> afford to put together an online storage system, but >> if you have a digital audio workstation of some sort, >> you could start recording to firewire drives and >> archiving the drives themselves. > > The fireware "cases" are not cheap, so one would presumably store > just the hard drive itself, packed in a plastic shell or some > sort of protective box. Still, hard drives are so fragile that I > would be worried not to have a copy on DVD or tape just in case. Actually cost-wise, they are basically equivalent to CDRs at CD resolution - a 120 gig firewire drive in a case costs about $180.00 and stores about 200 hours of audio at CD resolution. Mitsui Gold CDs cost around a buck each. > > But has anyone had any experience archiving hard drives? Will > they work OK after being in storage for months? > Sure. Most drives are rated at 100,000 + hours of life spin life - that¹s more than 11 years! NARAS has created guidelines for archiving of DAW files created in recording sessions. They dictate archiving the original hard drive along with several other backups on different media. I've been doing hard disc recording since the late 80s, I have some legacy drives that are at least 8 years old that still function fine - sometimes after being powered down for months at a time. -- Konrad Strauss Recording * Editing * Mastering * Production http://php.indiana.edu/~kstrauss