Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:17 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Rumble when playing cylinders

----- Original Message ----- From: "Art Shifrin" <[log in to unmask]> >>>>>Mechanically adjusting for improved concentricity is often not as simple as one would hope. The physical distortions of the tubes are not uniform: a setting for one end is not necessarily optimal for the center or other end. Theoretically, adjustments for portions of the cylinders should be made individually (in whatever increments you deem desireable: every 1/2", 1" etc of grooves) & the file then assemble edited. I do this comparably for disks when changing the arm's tangent (for disks with extremely disparate radii of inner and outer most grooves). <<<<< Wouldn't any rumble created by eccentricity be either at a frequency equal to the rotational speed or the first harmonic (double) of that (unless the record was "out of round" in a complex pattern)? Thus, if you had a filter with a very steep curve, that could effectively filter out that frequency (or frequencies, in the case of harmonics) while not affecting others, the noise would be removed. >>>>>Another effective technique for dealing with cylinders' tubular eccentricites is to run them at 1/2 speed and then double the pitch for playback. <<<<< How would this affect the signal...or are you assuming that 1/2 speed would be too low to be picked up? Since cylinders (IIRC) run at 120 or 160 rpm, half of this is still an audible frequency. This raises an interesting point...a flattened cylinder should create a spurious signal at twice the rotational speed...or, in the case of 160 rpm, 320 Hz...which is above middle C! Or am I making a mistake here? >>>>>I don't know if anyone's undertaken to make for themselves, or to offer them to others, but it'd be smart to have a machinist precisely (accurate to .0001") mill a suitably configured cylinder that'd be analagous to a test record or alignment tape. It'd be made out of something soft that would retain its shape but not jeopardize styli & their cantelevers, i.e. teflon. It wouldn't necessarily have to be grooved, but would provide a baseline of measurement determining how much rumble's generated from any playback mechanism versus that emnating from a particular record. <<<<< But wouldn't this just create a standard of "no physical distortion"...which, since it means "no rumble," would simply be a flat-line waveform, which in turn is created by zero signal? Or are you trying to get the "zero" for a specific playback device for comparison purposes? >>>>>Also, it's important to not assume that any given groove is "vertical". As with all mechanical devices, tolerances are involved. IF a groove induces a stylus to meaningfully oscillate at some angle other than true perpendicular (+ or - the theoretical standard), then unnecesary low and high frequency noises will occur. This is remedied by continually adjusting the phase relationship of the stereo cartridge being used to track the grooves. I call the process "vectoring". It's extremely beneficial for ALL monaural grooves. <<<<< I would guess what you mean here is "...if any movement other than vertical causes the pickup to generate a signal..."...right? This could depend on a myriad of things...including the fact that vertically-cut grooves can often vary in width proportional to the depth of the cut, so that a stylus NOT dead-centered in the groove (which is most likely the case unless some mechanical means of centering, like Edison's feedscrew-driven reproducers, is used) could pick up the horizontal variations of one groove wall. In fact, the old "record player" I was using to play 78's (mostly lateral-cut) seemed to be able to play h&d discs this way, which enabled me to hear for the first time some vertical 12" transcriptions I had bought about 30 years ago! Steven C. Barr