Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:54:00 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Joel Bresler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 4-track tapes

Hi, Mike and others. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll find out what I can about the formats. That would seem an important first step, and I'm sorry I don't know, since all I have is the MP3s that resulted from the library's attempt to play them back. Will report back as I know more. No, I'm not at the LOC. I'm sure that they don't make such elementary mistakes! <G> Joel At 01:35 PM 4/13/2004 -0700, you wrote: >At 01:27 PM 4/13/2004 -0400, Joel Bresler wrote: >>Dear friends: >> >>A sound library I am collaborating with has a collection of what I believe >>to be home-recorded 4-track tapes. Played back on a conventional machine, >>it sounds as if there are two different selections playing at once. These >>tapes were made in California, and so I am wondering if they could be the >>4-track system mentioned in the various articles below, one of which >>mentions California as one of the few locales that used the system broadly. > >Home recording was almost certainly open-reel. Muntz (I knew him well, >though I never had one of his cars) promoted only cartridges. > >When you say a "conventional machine", you have many opportunities for >error. The logical ones are that you're using two-track heads (unlikely) or >that you're playing four-track monaural as though stereo (very probable). >The first step (excuse me if it sounds simple-minded) is simply to pull out >each connector in turn and see if the other channel makes sense. If so, you >have four-track mono and playback (and recording) is straightforward. The >cheap way is to pick up a Y cable at Radio Shack and use it to connect one >channel of output to both channels of input. I use an 'elaborate' scheme: I >bought a three-to-one switch box, opened it and rewired it to feed left, >right and stereo from a single input to a single output. > >I am in Southern California and while I'm not prepared to deal with any >substantial collection, give me a call at 310-477-7969 and we'll see if I >can at least check out the format for you. > >(And if you are at LoC, please give my regards to Charles Sens. I owe him >at least an e-mail and am embarassed by my tardiness.) > > >Mike >-- >[log in to unmask] >http://www.mrichter.com/ Joel Bresler 250 E. Emerson Rd. Lexington, MA 02420 USA 781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX) [log in to unmask]