Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:43:20 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 4-track tapes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel Bresler" <[log in to unmask]> > A sound library I am collaborating with has a collection of what I believe > to be home-recorded 4-track tapes. Played back on a conventional machine, > it sounds as if there are two different selections playing at once. These > tapes were made in California, and so I am wondering if they could be the > 4-track system mentioned in the various articles below, one of which > mentions California as one of the few locales that used the system broadly. > Questions: > Is there anywhere on the web a brief description of the 4-track systems > offered for home use capable of recording? > Can anyone advise of a vendor for new or reconditioned 4-track tape players > to play these tapes? To be clear, I am NOT interested in a machine that > will make its own 4-tracks according to newer standard, but rather, one > that can play tapes decades old in the format used at that time. > As an alternative, are there services (especially in Southern California) > that could read these tapes in and output them to CD audio format? If there > are a slew of 4-track formats, that might be easiest, especially since I > don't anticipate an ongoing need for 4-track capability. What should I > expect to pay for such a service? Are these on cartridges, or r-2-r? Stecen C. Barr