Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:53:06 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Rod Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Need Turntable advice for amateur archivist

O.K. Everybody seems to have their favorite TT, because of vested interests, namely the purchase and use of the instrument. All do the job within given parameters or they wouldn't be in use. At Family Theater, we've used three Esoteric ATEN turntables with Stanton 500 MkII cartidges which have interchangable styli for playback of both 78 and 33 1/3 standard grooves (2.3 mil and 3.0 mil for "standard") and LP microgrooves (0.7 mil elliptical with 1.5 mil for early LP's). They have reproduced over 400 transcriptions for digitizing flawlessly with no rumble (except for transcriptions that were cut with low frequency already in the recording) and excellent tracking including staying the course over bad digs and scratches. The strobe readout on the edge of the table is used constantly to check and set true rotation speed with the minute pitch adjusting lever. As to being "flimsy", they all seem sturdy and weigh enough that I would want to carry them any great distance. They rotate at an even speed per the strobe, so that is the best criteria, I would think. The Esoteric Ramses II that you've been thinking of is quite similar to the ATEN, so it might do as good a job, and, of course, they all come with a 45 adapter. I also use the Disk Doctor's Miracle Record Cleaner solution and brush set to clean the disks before ever touching them with a stylus. The sound that I'm getting is as good as if the broadcast were "live" or so people say. The studio sound from the 40's and 50's was pretty broadbanded, so even though Hi-Fi wasn't quite yet a catch word, the literal envelope of sound technology had reached the limits of the human ear. So, it's a thrill to produce CD masters that are "as good as new". I hope this has been of help. Rod Stephens Family Theater Productions Sirnailhead JR Superfly wrote: >Hello...I just signed up again after being off the list for quite a few >months, so if I'm dredging up a recent thread please fell free to give me >a link that I can check it out on the web archives, or however that >works. > >I'm in need of a new TT, and I would like to be able to do some amateur >sound restoration/preservation. Mostly it is working with my own >collection and that of various pals and associates, and by and large it >would be records made in the last 30 years or so, often garage/punk type >stuff that was at times poorly recorded and cheaply pressed. I do have >other interests, including a small personal collection of 78's so I'm >looking for something that gives me the most options for the future. And >my budget tops out at about $500. > >At first I was looking for a nice Technics 1200, but I found a Denon >Model, the DP DJ151. It plays 33/45/78, is direct drive and has a >digital line out that can be jacked directly into a PC, CDR, etc. This >possibility sounds intriguing, but I would be curious as to how it >sounds. It has the proper phono EQ to compensate for newer equipment >that doesn't have a Phono pre standard, or you can run out of the analog >set into an amp that does. Anyone familiar with sound and workability of >this? > >I'm also considering several of the models that Esoteric sound has. I've >never bought from them, but have heard only positive things. I like that >they have more speeds and an even wider range of RPMs with the pitch >controls. Has anyone owned or used any of the models that have under >$500 (RA-6, Rondine Jr, Rek o Kut Seti, Ramses II and Vintage models) and >have any advice or opinions in choosing one? I don't expect I will need >to deal with 16" transcription discs or exceptionally rare/high end 78's. > Much of what I would devote large amounts of time would be 45's, with >the occasional LP, some of which are in less than mint shape. Due to the >rarity of such things I would like to be able to get the best possible >sound off the grooves before I start working on them with PC cleanup >tools. > >At this point I'm leaning towards one of the Esoteric Models, unless >someone gives me another model to consider or the Denon turns out to be >highly recommended. I'd also like info about the best cartridge's I can >get for this type of thing. Up to now I have always used Shure and >Stanton cartridges, but often with the DJ/Warhorse needles like the >Stanton D6800s. Should I stick with these brands and switch to a >different type of needle? Should I have one needle that I use only for >transfers and a 2nd (of the same or different model) to use for everyday >listening so I don't run them down? If anyone has already wrestled thru >these questions lately please give me your thoughts, and if there is a >thread in the archives point me to it and I'll check that out. Thanks. >Randy Lancelot > > >