Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:13:19 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         James L Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Need Turntable advice for amateur archivist
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Randy, Generally, I'd agree with the earlier response that you want a belt drive to cut down on motor noise. However, I've heard good things about the Denon direct-drive systems, though I can't say anything about specific models. $500 is pretty limiting for a good-quality table and arm. If you're lucky you might find a VPI HW-19 Jr. for around that. Those give a lot of bang for the buck and have the advantages of relatively easy setup, upgradability and good compatibility with a variety of cartridges. I've heard they work particularly well with the Shure V15VxMR cartridge. Thorens is a decent lower-cost belt drive, but try to avoid their more recent offerings. Ebay often has some pretty good Thorens and Dual tables for cheap. A little tune-up and they can be as good as new. I'd be really hesitant to get the particular Denon table you mention because you'll be paying for the A-to-D converter built into it, and more likely you'll want that either to be outboard or a card on your computer (for which I recommend the M-Audio 9624 - good, clean sound and quite cheap). I could be wrong but I'd think the turntable is the last place you'd want the converter to be located, especially with direct drive. The Library uses the V15VxMR cartridge for LP and 45 playback and they're also great for the money (around $325). It handles worn or difficult to track discs very well, though the disc needs to be well cleaned since the stylus has so little mass. If you need to go with a cheaper cartridge, I like the Grado Prestige series. I think these handle percussion heavy music (like garage and punk) well and really deliver the necessary punch. But you may have to add some mass to the arm to avoid the Grado shimmy. Hope this helps some, and thanks to the folks like Larry Miller and Steve Smolian for teaching me about this stuff. James >>> [log in to unmask] 07/10/03 10:27PM >>> I'm in need of a new TT, and I would like to be able to do some amateur sound restoration/preservation. Mostly it is working with my own collection and that of various pals and associates, and by and large it would be records made in the last 30 years or so, often garage/punk type stuff that was at times poorly recorded and cheaply pressed. I do have other interests, including a small personal collection of 78's so I'm looking for something that gives me the most options for the future. And my budget tops out at about $500.... Randy Lancelot