Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:06:02 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Miriam Meislik <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Labeling Software
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

These are all excellent points are well. I did consider using the manufacturers serial numbers, but I felt that over time, this would be just one more thing to track. Since the project already has a great deal of data associated with each disc, I really wanted something that was easy, that I could pass to any graduate student/student assistant/volunteer to do. Also, not everyone is able to read the manufacturer's numbers. (Think aging eyes here.) My goal is to use hub labels that contain the information. and to write nothing on the face of the disc. I have never been a fan of placing labels over the entire surface of the disc and have been concerned about the damage that could be caused by inks on the surface. These discs are for access and are not the masters. They also need to be readily identifiable to make sure that researchers who use them put them where they belong. For another project, I have been using a Kaiser CD [R] Pen to mark CD R hubs . These have been working okay, the problem I see with using marking pens is that, well, personally, I have pretty illegible handwriting. I can read what's there, I wish others luck. This is another reason why I prefer something that is typed like a hub label. No deciphering required. Miriam Bradleys wrote: > Steven C. Barr and List Members: > > There is information on the Internet that indicates that almost any kind of > material applied to a DVD can lead to degradation of the disc. Therefore > even applying a unique serial number is problematical. > > Some discs are sold with embossed unique serial numbers. These could be used > to do an a, b, c documentation of every disc that Steven envisions. (a is > the serial number, b is the insert put in the Jewel case with the disc and c > would be a database record. I suggest adding d, a permanent log book of > every disc by serial number of data base entry. This would be an archival > book, acid free and archival quality journal recorded in using archival > approved non-acid pens. As for e, place the serial number into the disc as > the volume label as applicable. > > Have any had experience using discs with manufacturer applied serial > numbers? > > If one is going to "take a chance" and write a serial number on the disc > using an acid free archival approved pen marker and write the serial number > very near the hub of the disc on the non-media side. (Just my own idea > applying what I think I understand.) Marking pens have solvent and solvent > induced stress crazing introducing the opportunity for moisture and > atmospheric infiltration is probably the biggest risk with applying a number > with such a pen. Graphite pencils might be able to write a legible label on > a "printable" type disc. These would not necessarily be permanent but might > avoid the problem of solvents. I have heard of using china markers. These > may also not use solvents but I am not familiar with them. > > Applying a serial number with a vibrating engraving pen would have the > advantage of not chemically stressing the plastic of the disc but there > would be mechanical stress. Does anyone have any information on whether the > stress induced by a limited small writing with an engraving pen might cause > long term degradation of a disc. If the only difficulty is a short term > chance of disc damage, this can be dealt with by writing the numbers on the > disc before they are used (recorded to). > > As to printing on a label, has anyone seen any claims that (1) such label to > the disc printers use inks that are not in any way harmful to survivability > of the disc and (2) for the durability and long term readability of such > labels. Aside from manufacturers claims I would not trust such labels unless > some analysis and longer term and accelerated studies had been performed > with them. Such studies would be specific to a particular printer and > particular ink media so I would not expect that much information would be > available. We face the same difficulty with the discs themselves. > > The minimalist approach suggests that whatever way one applies the mark that > the mere addition of a unique serial number to the disc on the obverse side > near the hub is going to be the least likely to cause data loss of archived > discs. I would prefer using the manufacturer applied serial numbers. > > Ralph Bradley -- Miriam Meislik Associate Archivist Photograph Curator Archives of Industrial Society 7500 Thomas Blvd. University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA 15260 (412)244-7075 voice (412)244-7077 fax [log in to unmask] http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. --Steven Wright When your mouth drops open, click the shutter --Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001 Photography does not create eternity. . . it embalms time, rescuing it simply from its proper corruption. --André Bazin (1918–1958)