Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:47:17 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: RCA StereoTape Cartridge Information

Hi, Spencer, I've done about a half dozen of these cartridges in the past year. Each one had the tape removed and it was played on a Sony APR-5003V with a1/4-track stereo head from Nortronics. These tapes were recorded at 3.75 and 1.88 in/s and could be left/right or stereo. The most frustrating ones are the dual mono 1.88 in/s ones that never seem to end! The quality of the pre-recorded tapes (at least one example) was surprisingly good. The client was very happy. I can't say the same for the home-recorded ones. At least some of the machines would record with the cartridge misaligned. No joy here! Cheers, Richard At 04:57 PM 7/15/2003 -0700, you wrote: >Hello! My name is Spencer Secoy, and I am an audio mastering engineer in >Nashville, Tennessee. We also cut vinyl masters, so anyone with questions >on the subject can feel free to ask. I currently have an RCA StereoTape >cartridge player/recorder, and it is fully functional. I also have all >the original paperwork and booklets. I'd be happy to post/share any >information I have on the medium if anyone is interested. One thing I'd >like to know is if the head configuration/track layout on the tape the >same as typical 1/4 track reel to reel tape. And if so, can the tape >essentially be removed from the cartridge and spooled onto a reel? Look >forward to conversing with you all. > >-Spencer J. Secoy > > >Do you Yahoo!? ><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/search/mailsig/*http://search.yahoo.com>The New >Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.

[text/html]