Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:23:57 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Samuel Brylawski <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Optical Groove Digitization

LC is a big place with room for differing opinions. James may be right about 2-D, but maybe not, and many of us see several reasons to pursue both 2-D and 3-D mapping. Two offices at the Library of Congress are working actively with the Berkeley group to refine and improve 2-D as well as 3-D. Sam On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, James L Wolf wrote: > Just wondering. Once the processing and storage capabilities for 3-D > modeling of a groove arrive (10+ years?), wouldn't it also be possible > to model a "perfect" stylus for that groove and create a result from > their ideal virtual interaction? Would this be the best way to extract > info from a groove? > From what I recall of the lecture at the Library by two guys from > Berkeley who are working on something similar to the folks on the web > page cited, creating a 3-D map of a groove doesn't require anything > physical to be placed in the groove (if that's what you mean by a > probe), just two linked "cameras" to plot the coordinates of each point > of the groove. But it takes a hell of a long time. I think with current > hardware and technology it takes a couple days to 3-D map a 2-minute > cylinder, maybe more. > But 3-D is the only way to go. Jon Noring is absolutely right; 2-D > is a waste of time. It only reads the edge(s) of the bottom of the > grove, the results I've heard (under relatively good listening > conditions) were really poor, and vertical grooves are impossible, so > there's no point in messing with it, except maybe for emergency > preservation of broken laquers or something similar. > > James > > > >>> [log in to unmask] 09/24/03 08:43AM >>> > Dear All, > I agree, and must add another dimension to solving this problem - > my > twopennyworth! The only practical way to do a three-dimensional map of > a > groove (whether hill-and-dale, lateral, or stereo) is to use a test > probe > controlled by a digital device of some sort. However, there is no > anti-aliassing filter for the data. Therefore the wanted sound is going > to > be corrupted by an enormous amount of aliassing, and ultrasonic > components > will become "folded down" into the audio spectrum. > The fundamental idea is a good one, but I'm afraid I cannot see how > to > get around this problem - *except* by playing the groove with a stylus > and > having an anti-aliassing filter *before* the result(s) are digitised. > If > anyone can think of how to conquer that, it *would* be a good idea! > Peter Copeland > > -----Original Message----- > From: Jon Noring [mailto:[log in to unmask]] > Sent: 22 September 2003 22:46 > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Optical Groove Digitization > > > [Project Gramophone cc'd] > > Kurt Nauck wrote: > > > Have you seen this? > > > > http://www.eif.ch/visualaudio/ > > > > Perhaps now the tinfoil playback problem has been solved! > > > > There is a description of this system in the July 2003 IASA Journal. > > Fax: (425) 930-6862 > > I've been intrigued for a long time with "optical" methods to preserve > and to recover the "sound in the grooves." This work is definitely the > next step in the right direction. > > My current thinking, however, for the most advanced playback of older > recordings is to get a true, high resolution, 3-D characterization of > the entire record. In essence, to create a very precise topographic > "map" of the record. This way, the full information of the recording > is preserved, and it may be possible, using a super-computer and the > right algorithms, to do the highest possible quality "transfer" of the > recording (interestingly, one may be able to precisely correct for > complex warping of the records.) > > The problem with the current playback methods, such as a stylus > running in the groove or the optical method noted in the article > described above, is that they still "linearize" and mix information > together, and once one does that, one loses a lot of information that > otherwise will be useful for the best possible restoration. > > With the 3-D topographic approach, in principle one should be able to > best ascertain what the original signal was based on full analysis of > both walls of the groove, from the top of the record to the bottom of > the groove. It may be possible to recover the original signal from > some > types of groove damage, and to minimize the effects of nicks and > impurities in the record substrate (e.g., the abrasive particles > records > used to use to polish the steel playback needle -- these stick out > like > boulders in the groove path.) > > Of course, some challenges to this 3-D topographic approach are: > > 1) Huge amount of data: To get adequate 3-D resolution will require > sampling a *lot* of data -- I haven't figured it out yet, but we > are talking about many gigs at the minimum for a typical 10" 78rpm > disc. (But disk space nowadays is readily available.) > > 2) Coming up with the program and requisite algorithms to analyze the > data. It would not surprise me that it would take a super-computer > (such as a cluster of PC's) several hours to extract the optimized > signal from the grooves (if this is the case, then this project > could tap the huge reservoir of volunteer pc's out there, such as > what Project SETI uses.) Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, and > that in the distant future this can be done quite fast and by the > "ordinary" restoration engineer. > > 3) And of course, how to actually scan for this data. There is no > doubt equipment/techniques that will do this, but it is unknown if > there is any "commercial" equipment that does this (there might > be); > rather, it may still be in the province of advanced research at > places such as the National Labs, for example (I used to work as an > engineer at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, and making high > resolution > 3-D "topographic" maps of surfaces is something that someone there > may have expertise in -- one of these days I plan to check if this > is so.) > > > Just my $0.02 worth. > > Jon Noring > > > ************************************************************************** > > Now exhibiting at the British Library Galleries: > > Painted Labyrinth : the world of the Lindisfarne Gospels > > Until 28 September 2003. Admission Free. > > ************************************************************************* > > The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be > legally > privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not > the > intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the > [log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed > or > copied without the sender's consent. > > The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the > author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. > The > British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the > author. > > ************************************************************************* > ********************************* Samuel S. Brylawski Head, Recorded Sound Section Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Library of Congress Washington, D.C. 20540-4690 E-mail: [log in to unmask] "Usual disclaimers apply" **********************************