Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:16:27 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: VPI cleaning fluid -- any good homebrew recipes?

Kodak Photo-Flo 200 mixed with steam dried distilled water (1:200) is perfect for all discs, shellac or vinyl or lacquers. I've been using it for 6 years and it's the recommended formula for use with the Monks. dl in gray, drippy Toronto "Bewley, Nigel" wrote: > I'd like to hear of any home brews too. We have a Keith Monks using > 50:50 distilled water/industrial methylated spirit for use on vinyl (NOT > shellac because shellac will dissolve in alcohol!!) and distilled water > with a few drops of Kodak Photo Flow as a wetting agent/detergent for > 'everything else' (including vinyl). We're not averse to washing discs > in the sink either with a mild liquid detergent, soft brush and wet > fingers, using tap water that has, apparently, been through the cycle of > reservoir, glass, kidneys, sewage farm and reservoir on many occasions. > The key is to give the disc a final rinse in distilled water to prevent > lime scale depositing. > > Greetings from a mild and sunny London. > > Nigel Bewley > British Library Sound Archive