Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:19:09 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Squealing Scotch 996

So there's no "fix" for it? I'm not proposing Mobil One, but you can't fix it like baking sticky shed? Phillip ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" > Gak! > > Hi, Conrad, > > What do you know about the history of this reel? > > If you're not seeing any buildup and it's squealing, you may have: > > L O S S O F L U B R I C A N T > > or LoL > > I've been on this bandwagon ever since I found several Sony reels that > exhibited this. > > Our resident Southern Kiwi, Marie O'Connell is a world-class expert in > dealing with LoL. > > IMHO, LoL may become a worse problem than SSS as we go through the years. > I've seen it more on cassettes than reels, but Marie's experience is > hundreds of reels of a tape brand that we don't see here much in North > America (not Zonal, Agfa, or BASF IIRC). > > She taught me how to play them wet with isopropyl alcohol. People were > kind to me at my recent seminar and didn't bring a piece of tape doing > this evil thing. > > Cheers, > > Richard