Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:53:19 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: LP storage &c.

I worked at a library in music school that had metal shelves and I hate them. Perhaps is psychological. Don't know, but I prefer wood. I like the stuff at Ikea. Pretty sturdy and cheap. I also like Skandia (pretty pricey, but might be cheaper than metal, and I can stand on a shelf--I weigh 300lbs). Or, hire a trim carpenter to build them in, using 1X12 with the little 1X2 lip on the front and braced in the back. I know most of you guys have the metal shelving, but I've seen lots of damage caused by metal shelves and librarians who misused dividers meant for books. Are there reasons that metal would be a much better choice for vinyl storage? Phillip And buy some ear plugs. I like bagpipes. They can be very stirring. But nothing but bagpipes all day, every day...... It's a proven fact that most players have hearing damage. Do you play? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lani Spahr" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:28 AM Subject: [ARSCLIST] LP storage &c. > Hello all - > > I work for the New Hampshire School of Scottish Arts, which has > received a very large collection (the world's largest collection of > bagpipe music, recordings, journals &c. and bagpipes). I will be in > charge of the digitisation of all the 78s, LPs & tapes, both for > archival purposes and user access, so from time-to-time I'll probably > be asking for information from all the knowledgeable people here, so > TIA. :-) > > The first question has to do with LP & 78 storage: Are there shelves > that are recommended (brand name)? One of the considerations at present > is security. They will stored in a user-accessable room until a secure > location can be found (ie, no user access), so are there lock-able > shelves or cabinets available? > > I'm assuming edge-wise (standing on edge) storage is the preferred > method, but someone said they heard otherwise, so just tell me the > definitive storage method so I can pass it on to this person. > > Cheers, > Lani Spahr